Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Resolutions: Why they're not such a bad thing...



I've long been apathetic towards New Years' Resolutions. Its not that I think they're bad, its just that I haven't ever been into making them...

formally, that is.

You see, to some extent, A New Year's Resolution is like any other resolution: a reset. a new beginning. 

When I really think about it, I make New Year's Resolutions all the time. Each day, I resolve to do something. And I think its important to be mindful enough in our day to day living to resolve to doing something each day...even if the something is brushing my teeth before noon or making it to the pool for a swim (yes, these are actual daily resolutions for me :)

Over the last few weeks, several people have been talking about their New Year's Resolution(s). For some, its weight-loss. For others, its to be more organized. Some people are leaving Social Media behind in this New Year of 2015.

While I've decided to keep my resolutions private in my personal journal (Yes, a hardcopy, bound, leather journal (how archaic?!)), I nevertheless have jumped on the bandwagon and chosen to embrace our cultural practice of New Year's Resolutions.

Because who doesn't need a new beginning? 

Isaiah 43:19 Behold, I will do something new, now it will spring forth; will you not be aware of it? I will make a roadway in the wilderness, rivers in the desert. 

I instinctively hit my reset button both in the Fall and Spring. Summer is usually a less planned, more laid back, and more care-free form of me as a friend, a daughter, a sister, a wife, and now as a mother. By the middle of winter, I need an intentional reset.

I need to be reminded that God is at work in me and in those I know and love, and in our world. I need the hope that God is making a way...and not just a way, but His Way.

For me, 2014 was one of my BIG YEARS. I became a mother this year. I became an Nurse Practitioner this year. I watched my husband become a Doctor this year. And I saw pieces of the puzzle fall into place in ways that I never would have imagined.

I resolve to be, to practice, to live, to grow, and to... quite a few other things in 2015. Its exciting, isn't it...A new year? A new beginning?

Cheers 2014!



No comments:

Post a Comment