Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day

We started the day with coffee and sticky buns. I'd like to say they were homemade, but that would be a lie. I brewed the coffee without placing the top on the pot so coffee grinds spilled over into our cups. Phil attempted to strain the coffee with a metal filter but there was really no saving it. So we left for church not nearly as caffeinated as we should have been.



After church, R went down for his nap and Phil and I snacked, made iced lattes and cooked brussels sprouts (yes, roasted caramelized brussels sprouts that I could eat all day long!) We headed out for the annual summer OB/gyn Intern welcome party at the Spitzleys. We ate, drank, and played backyard games. R wore himself out chasing other (bigger) kids around the yard. His new favorite game is "bags" (so say the Michiganders), to all others (normal folk), corn hole. The men had the extra challenge of getting the bags in the hole without sacking the kiddos in the process. Oh, and here is R's "twin", M. They are almost a year apart and seriously could pass as brothers! Every time we get together with the folks from the residency, I'm reminded of how grateful I am that Phil made the choices he made that led us to this time and season that we are sharing with these awesome people. I know Phil prayerfully considered multiple programs, and He trusted God in accepting this site for his residency training years.  We don't always understand what God is doing when He call us to something (or somewhere); sometimes it takes us a while to see the pieces come together. But when we begin to see how He orchestrates all the details, it is something really beautiful....and something I would have surely made a mess of if it were up to me!



We left the party and picked up our bikes that we ordered on Saturday. We're still waiting on the two-kid trailer to arrive and I can't wait for a family bike ride adventure! While I got R squared away in bed, Phil took his new bike for a spin down to the beach. When Phil got home, we switched and I rode my bike down to the beach just in time for the sunset on the longest day of the year. I've seen some really incredible sunrises and sunsets all over the world, and I have to say, Lake Michigan sunsets are some of the best! I called my Dad on the boardwalk overlooking the Lake to wish him a Happy Fathers' Day. My dad is a man of few words, but that's one of my favorite things about him. We've shared innumerable quiet hours, often by the water and with rod and reel in hand. I hope our children get the opportunity to share those quiet moments with their Papa...down by the water, learning to "feel" the fish bite.









No comments:

Post a Comment