Friday, October 3, 2014

Battered blooms. Brimming brews

Thunder storms on Lake Michigan are a force to be reckoned with. The neighbors' trash can barrels down the street as I look outside the window...mistaking the sound for thunder. But then I remember that thunder here is much louder. Like, stop-what-you're-doing-to-listen LOUDER. It echos off the sand dunes and rolls over you like a Mack Truck.

We planted a cutting garden late in the season this year. We're harvesting lovely zinnias and marigolds for small autumnal bouquets. I place them throughout the house in an attempt to invite the outside-in.

I desperately need the outside-in these days.

I know that, not long from now, we'll be blanketed in white and no green will grow on the outside.

My sunflowers had hopes of blooming soon. Now, I'm not so sure.

****

The house is still. The dishes are half-washed. Laundry is sorted and I just got a "stone-bruise" from one of Ransom's wooden blocks. At least I didn't spill my latte.

Oh, how I savor my morning latte.  Without it, my day feels as if its waiting to start. The comfort of this daily ritual grounds me, centers me, and reminds me of His mercies made new.

****

Ransom is growing and changing so fast, especially this past month. Its been my personal mission to put some meat on this kid. Phil says he is on the sumo-wrestlers' diet, gaining over 30% of his entire body weight THIS MONTH alone. My little guy is becoming a chunker. And I love it!

And then there is the development of his personality. Oh this kid! He chases his feet like a dog chases his tail. He ventures to danger zones, you know--stairs, live wires, nuts that have fallen on the floor--then he stops, looks at me and waits for me to say "NoooOH!" He squeals with excitement before launching himself forward towards said danger whole-heartedly. He is my reckless little honey-badger.

Independent and wild at heart, he still puts up with my constant nibbles and kisses. He giggles for days when I nibble his chiseled chin or his tiny toes.  I kiss him so hard sometimes he falls over. laughing. and gets back up for more!

****
The storm has calmed and the baby has risen. A new day, a new month, a new season is here. Colored leaves carpet the backyard where we will undoubtedly play later today.


No comments:

Post a Comment