Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Slowly living the fast life

I'm slow.

Just ask my husband, and he'll quickly tell you that I am slow. At everything.
I'm especially slow leaving the house once I've said "I'm ready".  I meander over old mail. I ponder life's impossible questions. I stare out the window for far too long sometimes. I've kind-of always been an old lady, really.

Anyhow, I've slowly grown more and more comfortable with myself over the years and actually like this trait about me (even if others do not!)

Before Phil's and my wedding, I remember several people telling me how their wedding days were a blur and how they'd remembered nothing of the day! I was bound and determined to savor my wedding day.

And I did.

I still remember soaking in a bath on the morning of my wedding. Shaving my legs and sipping coffee. I remember seeing my good friend, "the wedding planner" giving instructions on how to hang the lights and deciding where the ferns should go. I remember another friend showing up wearing the same gap summer dress I had planned to leave in...and her somehow finding another dress to wear before I knew anything about it! I remember scarfing down hot Stromboli in the kitchen in my wedding dress with Phil right before guests started to arrive. And how one of Phil's groomsmen asked me if I was sure I wanted to marry Phil because he was still available and willing! I remember it all. Because, I'm slow. I soak things up.

Lately I've been thinking about how I want to capture every moment on film, on journal pages or in the blog-sphere so I won't forget our lives right now. Our mornings at the beach tossing sand into the waves. Or how his hair falls just so and his legs fold up like when he was a newborn when he falls asleep in my arms.

And then I exhale.

Because I savor. I live life slowly. I'm not going to lose these moments. They will always be with me. Even if in the end I lose my ability to remember, these moments are apart of me, because I've taken the time to live them.

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, life is just happening too fast these days (yeah, yeah, I know, another old lady comment, but it's true!)

For me, taking things slowly, sitting and just looking at them, my guys, as they play in the backyard or laugh and splash at bath-time, its how I'm hard-wired...it's just how God chose to make me. Don't get me wrong, fast-paced people still savor; I just think they may have to work at it more. Phil is fast-paced. He is efficient. He can accomplish in an hour what usually takes me six! I love/hate that about him! But he can slow down in that hour he sets aside to do so. I just think its important to do so regularly and with intentionality. Before its all gone.

"What are our lives except a vapor that appears for a little while and vanishes and passes away?" James 4:14


No comments:

Post a Comment