Monday, February 20, 2012

faith is like a muscle...

the more you use it, the stronger it gets.  If it is not exercised, then it will atrophy--waste away over time.

Phil and I went to New Hampshire this weekend for a retreat with other christian health care students and professionals from surrounding schools--Harvard, Dartmouth, BU, UMass.  I expected interesting lectures on bioethical issues like stem cell research and physician assisted suicide (both of which were discussed)

What I DID NOT EXPECT was to have my faith challenged, called into question, brought before my eyes in a new light.  In a matter of a few days, I've come to see my faith as...

dwindled.  tired.  distracted.  beaten down.  undisciplined.  atrophied.

I stole this metaphor from pastor Mark Driscoll.  In an act of spiritual discipline and exercise, I'm forgoing excess Hulu, facebook, and constant email checking.

I've started listening to a sermon serious that I'd like to invite all of you to join me in.  I realize that not all of you reading my blog are believers in Christ.  Even still, as a friend or family member of mine, I'd ask that you forgo that extra hour of facebook stalking or blogging (yes, I see the irony) and listen to the sermon link below.  (Habakkuk--Part 1--faith)

Maybe afterwards we can talk about it. in person. over skype. with coffee in hand and open hearts and minds.

http://marshill.com/media/habakkuk/faith


2 comments:

  1. Great blog Sam! So true. Faith is like a muscle. Love listening to Driscoll- one of my favorite preachers. Hope you and Phil are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to listen to this next week after my exams and moving. I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing as always <3

    ReplyDelete